Saturday, August 20, 2011

RECALCITRANCE: A novel on the events of 1857


I couldn’t have asked for more apt hour to write about “Recalcitrance” when there is already one going across India. “Oppressed” and “meek” rising from their dreamless slumber. This recalcitrance is not restricted to only one country but is fast disseminating to the whole world.  Spare me as I am not going to talk about the current revolt anymore. Instead, I will concentrate on the one that happened 154 years ago.

Recalcitrance: A novel on the events of 1857” written by Mr. Anurag Kumar of Lucknow is a significant composition which bring to our sight how the revolution would have been among the masses, the commoners. It will be better if I first say something about the background in which the novel is setup. The novel specifically deals with a city called Lucknow, located in India. India was in the midst of First War of Independence, 1857. The struggle which initially started with the mutiny of soldiers refusing to bite cartridges, spread to the masses like a wild fire. Everyone was devoted to stop the Britishers from defiling their religion and culture. Lucknow played an extremely crucial role in this war. I think this much background is enough to enjoy the novel, revealing more will do injustice to the writer. The novel contains a lot of characters representing different sections and religions of the society who were united by the common cause. Some of them are saints and intellectuals who contribute with their sermons and wisdom, others by the rebellious spirit of youthfulness and remaining play the part with actions driven by their conscience. Thus we see a wonderful representation of all the factions of the society. Recalcitrance’s content is spread across thirty-two chapters with a glossary at the end to assist the usage of Hindi words in the novel.


Residency before siege





Although it was difficult to find a central character but “Chote Bhaiya” gets mentioned most of the time. I lead to this conclusion because he is the only one whose family, love and friends are described in a comprehensive way. The novel has its basis in the siege of Residency and the relief attempts by the Britishers. Along with the historical part we also get an insight of the lives of commoners, their sacrifices and their vacillations. The love life of Chote Bhaiya gives zest to the one who reads. One is also fascinated by the character of Farheen. Some other important characters are Tek Chand, Karim Kahn and Narenderlal. For more I recommend you read the novel.

Another thing which is not so important but I liked it for some reason, maybe because we were slave for nearly 200 years, is the usage of British version of English. Leaving a few instances you will find most of the words following British standards. I was tired of American words used in every article or other compositions and found it quite refreshing.

Although I want to talk more about the novel but that would reveal more than required. Recalcitrance is an extremely effective novel bringing out to the light the significance of Lucknow city in the revolt about which very few are aware of. Even the natives don’t know it. So if you have a taste for history and simultaneously want to enjoy a novel I recommend you read it.



Residency now...in Lucknow



In the end I would to thanks Mr. Anurag Kumar, who go by the username”@anuragkumarlko” on Twitter  and which is the only way I know  him, for providing the soft copy of the novel to me. Enjoy the “Recalcitrance” because that’s where the future and present lies.   

5 comments:

  1. Very nice blog you got there. It looks neater than mine, and unfortunately I'm too lazy to make it look nice...

    Anyway, your entries are well written, and I feel inclined to read this book. Unfortunately I've had some trouble acquiring it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.
    I am not very good at writing that's why i have to make it look good.
    You write quite well.
    For the novel you can ask Mr Anurag to give you the pdf.and i am sure he will do.he is a nice person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am touched by your review of Recalcitrance a million thanks to you. What comes out clearly is your love for the country and specially the city of Lucknow where six generations of our family have lived, that love is more important to me than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Che Guevara - You're really good at writing, actually. Both this review and your "Futility of war" post were remarkably well written. Of course, making it look pleasing to the eyes is also great, and I will try to do so with my blog also, in the little free time I have to spare.

    Also thanks for complimenting my writing.

    Regarding the novel, I sent Mr Anurag a message on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks both of you for reading and praising.

    ReplyDelete